The Center’s Traffic Safety and Child Passenger Seat Safety Program educates refugees, immigrants and non-native English-speaking Utica residents on automobile, bicycle, pedestrian, and child passenger safety tips. Traffic safety sessions are offered at the Community Education session on the third Friday of every month from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Assistance with driving simulators is available on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:15 PM to 3:00 PM and other times as requested. Permit study guides and child passenger seat information are available in several languages.
- Child passenger seat distribution and safety with income qualification
- Permit and license preparation
- Two on-site driving simulators available by appointment
- NYS Training Child Passenger Safety Seat Certified Technicians (multiple languages available)
- Pedestrian safety
- Bicycle safety
- Translated material
- Individual support, and computer lab and hands-on practice with driving simulators
- Driving responsibly (DWI, Distracted Driving, and additional relevant information) translated into Arabic, Burmese, Karen, Nepali, Russian, and Swahili
- Education and distribution of child passenger seats and fitting station
- Educational videos
How is your Traffic Safety Program Funded?
Traffic Safety is funded by the NYS Governor's Traffic Safety Committee. In 2018, we also received a generous donation from Preswick Glen to purchase 2 new driving simulators. We received other small grants to help support our acquisition and distribution of child passenger safety seats.
How do I get a child passenger safety seat?
You must contact Lisanne Divine to make an appointment for an educational session and to determine income qualifications for a child passenger safety seat. You will be required to attend our child passenger safety seat training before you are given a seat.
I have my own child seat, can you help me install it in my car?
Yes we can! We have multiple child passenger safety seat technicians who are trained to properly install car seats. You do not have to be a refugee or immigrant for one of our technicians to help you install a car seat.
If you need language assistance, we have technicians available who can speak Russian, Arabic, and a variety of Sudanese dialects. Please contact us to set up an appointment.